Monday, November 1, 2010

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Sometimes when I am on the hunt in my favorite old and rare book shops, I find something really really special.

Gasp.  A copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

When I picked up this one, I couldn't believe I found it.  I gently turned each page to make sure that all the color prints were there and they were!


Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was published in 1923 by J. B. Lippincott Company.



The illustrations are amazing in this wonderful volume. Illustrated by Gertrude A. Kay and with the original drawings by John Temmiel. Eight color plates in the book, plus the cover is gorgeous. Even though the red cover with gold leafing is a bit worn, it looks lovingly worn and adds to the charm.



The first illustration page must have come undone during the course of the book's life, and someone repaired the page with a bit of tape. Also filled with the familiar black and white renderings of Alice and her characters that we all have grown to love. 

alice for etsy

A delightful copy indeed. 241 pages A beautiful edition.






"All in the golden afternoon

Full leisurely we glide;
For both our oars, with little skill,
By little arms are piled,
White little hands made vain pretence
Our wandersings to guide.

I have just listed this book and several others today on my etsy shop, For The Love of Old Books.

No comments: