Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Stamp Collector's Dream

I walked through the aisles of a nearby Antique shop in search of a nice copy of Little Women for a customer.




There on the table sat this book. Postage Stamps and Their Collection.  It had the familiar cover that can only belong to a book from the late 1800's.




I scanned the shelves of the bookcases looking for Little Women, but this book kept drawing my attention.




Finally I picked it up and I just couldn't leave it there, I had to bring it home.




I imagined some stamp collector out there embracing the pages of this book, the way I would holding a Louisa May Alcott treasure.




When I returned home I began my research about the book.




According to The Association of British Philatelic Societies, Ltd. the Who Was Who in Philately is listed on their web site.

Who Was Who in Philately, was Mr. Oliver Firth, who wrote the book Postage Stamps and Their Collection:
"Oliver d.1913 age 52. Resided at Baildon, Yorks. Author of 'Postage Stamps and their Collection' [1897]. President Leeds P.S. and Bradford P.S."


When I found this book, published in 1897, I thought it so rare and unusual.  
At the time Oliver Firth was President of the Bradford Philatelic Society.  Past President of the Leeds Philatelic Society, Member of the Philatelic Society of London.
The book begins with a brief history of Philately, and goes on to describe within it's chapters all things related to the collection of stamps.
The front and back of the book are filled with graphics belonging to advertising at that time.
The book is covered in a hardcover leather maroon with gold leafing letters in script with the title Postage Stamps and their Collection.
The book has been lovingly worn and obviously used by it's previous owner.  Yet it is in beautiful condition.


I am sure the avid stamp collector would swoon over this wonderful old book.




The book measures 5 1/4 x 7 1/4 inches and 184 pages, with the Do's and Don'ts of stamp collection, as well as an Index to Advertisers.  A detailed listing of practical handbooks available at that time is found on the last few pages of this interesting volume.

Amazing!

I am sure the avid stamp collector would swoon over this wonderful old book.  Just listed in my etsy shop, For The Love of Old Books

No comments: